Oracle has release new Oracle has introduced Oracle Business Intelligence Cloud Service (BICS) and now it is GA and available for subscriptions. Now With the advent of Oracle BICS, You can bring critical analytics to those who need them and can use the information to improve business operations when it counts, and not have to learn of problems weeks and even months after they appear, as is the case with many traditional BI systems. And Over the past few weeks I have been participated in Oracle BICS beta program. And, evaluated various real world scenarios and possible deployment options.
Introduction to Oracle BICS
The Oracle Business Intelligence Cloud Service (BICS), a part of Oracle Analytics Cloud, which offers the most comprehensive analytics cloud suite on the planet. With built-in mobile capabilities, Oracle BI Cloud Service helps speed and improve decision-making across the organization by lowering the barrier to entry for users providing secure, comprehensive information access with the simplicity and cost-effectiveness of the cloud.
Oracle BICS is the industry’s first BI platform in the cloud that makes analytics available to everyone, from the workgroup to the enterprise. BI Cloud Service endues users of any skill level, from any department, to easily combine data from diverse sources and quickly create rich, interactive analytic applications and reports.
Why Oracle BICS?
- Multi-tenant OBI
- Based on Oracle’s proven BI technology, it helps users to quickly create rich, interactive data-driven insights and data visualizations to users throughout an organization.
- Integrated with industry-leading Oracle Database Cloud (At this moment, this is a Schemas-as-Service).
- BICS is optimized for the cloud and empowers users to combine data from diverse sources, including other cloud solutions, as well as on-premises and third-party applications. There are multiple ways to load data, from importing files self-service to ongoing data integrations, including web-based file loading, direct queries, ETL integrations, a REST API, and more.
- Built-in Mobile capability. It provides better support for device-delivered information, such as to dashboards or reports intended for smartphones and tablets.
- The service simplifies both the preparation of data for reporting and the creation, management, and deployment of analyses. The service offers many self-service capabilities such as loading your data and creating reports for your line of business.
- Most importantly, it is secured with industry’s highest level security standards (SSAE 16 Type II Certified).
- 99.5% Availability.
- SaaS model – Oracle Managed Patching and upgrades (you don’t need to chase the patches. now they are just automatic for you).
- The Oracle BI Cloud Service is offered as-a-service subscription model rather than a huge one-time purchase cost. So customers can deploy this right away, to small groups, business departments, or the entire organization, with no capital costs.
The new Oracle BICS has togged with all the features of OBIEE 11g and newfangled cloud-native developer tools to model, integrate and analyze your data. Currently BICS does not include other OBIEE components: BI Publisher, Delivers, Essbase, Smart View, MapViews or Invoke Actions.
- Proven Rich Reporting platform based on OBIEE Dashboards
- Powerful Analysis platform based on OBIEE Answers
- Mobile ready support based on OBIEE Mobile HD
- Browser based thin Data modeling (RPD gone to cloud)
- Seeded Time Dimension
- Variety of Data Integration Options:
- BICS Data Loader: Simple File upload
- BICS REST API*: Recommended for ETL integration
- SQL Developer: Interactive data loading and administration
- DBCS REST API: Define your own custom API
- PL/SQL Data Import: Generic Web Services data import
- Intuitive Security and Administration
- A fresh, lighter weight UI with new Skin & Style called “Skyros”: Skyros leverage’s the newest standard in page stylesheets, CSS3, and is less image-based than the earlier FusionFX-simple skin, improving speed, flexibility, and consistency. As you can see in the screenshots below, this includes changes to things like borders & gradients in all pages. It is also easier to customize, for example all colors have been organized into related anchor and derivative groups, making extensive changes much easier
Oracle BI Cloud Service allows users of all technical levels to quickly and easily create meaningful analytic applications by providing a service that is:
- Quick to start: With simple, wizard-driven data import and data model introspection, business users can build analyses, BI applications, or data mashups, without any programming or specialized analytics skills.
- Easy to adopt: An interactive user interface with integrated guidance and tutorials improves productivity and adoption. Users with prior knowledge of Oracle BI can utilize the service right away, without retraining. Cloud-based industry best practices will also be included.
- Mobile: Built-in mobile capabilities offer analysis on-the-go, including touch, drill, and interact features, with no additional development necessary. Additionally, Oracle BI Cloud Service is equipped for offline use, with fine-grained security to manage access and visibility.
- Flexible: For more custom queries and data-loading choices, users can leverage programming interfaces for deeper integration.
How secure is the Oracle BICS?
Oracle BICS is built on Oracle’s Identity Management platform. And BICS is multi-tenant and so every subscription is identified with its Identity Domain. The Identity Domain specifies the Company tenant ID.
When a user registers, their account and credential information is stored in Oracle Internet Directory. When a user has access to several services across Oracle cloud, the single sign-on is handled by Oracle Access Manager. When a user account is disabled, it can be disabled across all services. The Identity Management is part of the Common Services layer and secures Oracle Public Cloud services.
And Data is stored in the Oracle Database Cloud Service which is hosted in the Oracle Public Cloud. The Oracle Database is well-known for its data security, and the Oracle Cloud keeps your data completely isolated from that of other companies. Oracle Cloud services also offer market-leading security features – including encryption, virus scan and whitelist support. Oracle Cloud data centers offer embassy-grade physical and logical security. The services employ management controls, operational controls, and technical controls and are aligned with the security framework of ISO (International Organization for Standardization) and IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission), specifically ISO/IEC 27002:2005, Code of Practice for Information Security Management and ISO/IEC 27001:2005 standards.
Lastly, BICS greatly reduces Administration efforts:
With Oracle BI Cloud, organizations can reduce the costs and resources required to deploy analytic applications, while retaining comprehensive governance of the data pipeline. Benefits include:
- Scalability: The cloud-based model allows organizations to add new users and applications as requirements change.
- Availability: Oracle Cloud delivers high availability, while Oracle optimizes speed by offloading analytic workloads to the cloud.
- Security: Data and BI applications are part of the Oracle Cloud, which meets the industry’s highest security standards and is completely owned and operated by Oracle, helping ensure data does not travel to third parties.
- Simplicity: Oracle manages patching and upgrade cycles, further freeing up IT resources and ensuring immediate availability of the latest capabilities.
- Elasticity: The service offers the power of the Oracle Database and sophisticated Oracle BI capabilities to support current and future comprehensive analytic needs.
Subscription and Pricing:
We can subscribe Oracle BICS monthly. Each subscription has been offered with two independent environments (Pre-Prod and Production) with separate Database and BI Service.
The Pricing information can be found at https://cloud.oracle.com/business_intelligence_saas?tabID=1410551506786